The DOS and DONTS of Police Interaction:
1. DO exit your car if asked and show identification.
2. DO NOT answer questions and DO NOT explain your behavior, even if threatened with arrest. Just show ID and say “I want my lawyer.”
3. DO NOT admit to anything – which means to driving, drinking, drugs, bags, where you’re coming from, etc.
4. DECLINE any searches of you, your car, clothes, bags, trunk, etc. There maybe something there without your knowledge!
5. DO NOT do any roadside field sobriety tests (SFSTs/FSTs) and DO NOT blow into the roadside PBT(portable breath tester). These are voluntary!
6. DO blow into the BAC machine at station (unless drunk – then refuse).
7. DO sign a traffic ticket or summons to appear.
8. DO ask “Am I being detained?” If not, then leave immediately.
9. DO answer questions from the magistrate if dealing with your information, work status, etc. but DO NOT tell him/her anything about your behavior or about what is alleged. The police can use anything you say against you!
10. DO NOT talk about your case on a jail phone or visits. Police record it and the prosecutor gets to listen to it!